Berries are one of the healthiest foods you could have. Even among fruits they have less sugar and less carbohydrates than most but are still jam packed with nutrients. They can be a little expensive so try to scout out sales or find a local farm, especially in warmer months you can even head out and pick your own!
As with all fruits, they can be high in sugar and carbs so eat them in moderation. That said, berries are some of the healthiest fruit choices out there and have less carbs & sugar than other fruits.
Here’s just a few of the health benefits of berries! :)
- 1 cup is only 49 calories and only has 12 carbs and 7g of sugar
- Packed with antioxidants, strawberries are incredibly good for your heart’s health
- Strawberries help reduce inflammation and can even help lower the risk of certain kinds of cancer, especially with breast, cervical, colon & esophageal cancers!
- per cup: 83 calories, 21 carbs, 14g sugar
- Has the highest antioxidant levels of all fruits and is filled with immunity boosting nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin B, vitamin E, copper, selenium, zinc & iron
- Blueberries can also lift your mood as a natural anti-depressant, preserve vision, and prevent heart disease!
- per cup: 64 calories, 15 carbs, 5g sugar!
- With only 5g of sugar and 15 carbs per cup, Raspberries are excellent for maintaining blood sugar (which prevents fat-storage-triggering insulin spikes) when compared to other fruits. This also gives you more energy through the day and helps you feel more full!
- One serving of raspberries provides two thirds of your daily serving of manganese and half your daily serving of vitamin C both of which are fantastic for maintaining your immune system